Saturday, March 10, 2012

Trekking in Nepal: Interlude

Pokhara, Kathmandu, NEPAL, 4 - 8 March 2012

When the blind Nepali masseur, who had just lowered my boxer shorts as a prelude to pressing his hands hard onto my bare buttocks, asked me if Ireland was part of the UK, I thought that that was the most unusual time that I was asked that common question. During my travels I often feel that I am earning my pay by being an ambassador for Ireland given the countless times that I have described hurling and Gaelic football, told people about the extent to which people speak Irish, and summarised Irish history (I'm now an expert at succinctly explaining the whole Northern Ireland issue).

That massage in Pokhara was one of my post-trek activities. In the four days between finishing the Annapurna trek and starting the walk to Everest Base Camp, I enjoyed some of the things missing from my time in the mountains, i.e. hot showers, a shave, clean clothes, pizza, steak and beer.

Then in Kathmandu I enjoyed something missing from my life in general, i.e. strangers coming up to me on the street to rub paint on my face and head! Holi, the Festival of Colours, involves streets full of people, lots of coloured powder and water bombs, and it was a fun way to spend a sunny day.

No comments:

Post a Comment