Friday, March 30, 2012

From cold to warm to hot

Kathmandu, NEPAL & Mumbai, INDIA; 19 - 29 March 2012

For the third time I went back to Kathmandu - a city I grew to like more with each visit. I spent my last few days in Nepal exploring the Kathmandu Valley. And I was impressed. Boudhanath's stupa and Patan's Durbur Square and surrounding alleys were both well worth seeing, and I really enjoyed strolling around historic Bhakpatur.But the most memorable moment was at the Muslim site of Pashupatinath. There for the first time I saw dead bodies being cremated (note the smoking riverside pile in the background of the monkey photo below).Given how much I enjoyed my nine weeks in Nepal, it was fitting that my flight out of Kathmandu was one of my most memorable. Luckily I had a right-hand side window seat during the first leg of my Air India flight to Mumbai via Delhi because the mountain views were extraordinary. Even though I had spent most of the previous five months in or within sight of the Himalayas, I was mesmerised by this final view of them.

Going from the cold, calm Himalayan villages on the Everest trek back to warm, bustling Kathmandu felt like a big step; but going from there to hot and hectic Mumbai four days later was a giant leap.

While going to the sights of Mumbai, I saw so many other fascinating things all around me that at times it was too much to take in. The tacky horse carriages bringing tourists past India Gate were more brightly lit than the monument itself. Speeding taxis and sauntering cows distracted me from the impressive train station.And watching people jumping on and off moving trains on the way to and from the Kanheri Caves was more interesting than the caves themselves.Given the high day-time temperatures (I twice went to the cinema at noon to have somewhere air-conditioned to sit), I found that strolling around in the evening was more enjoyable. And I wasn't the only one judging by the large numbers along the three kilometre Marine Parade and on Chowpatty Beach. My time out there was the highlight of my time in Mumbai (with eating lots of cheap delicious food coming a close second).

I look forward to my next rip to India - a country of which I definitely want to see more.

No comments:

Post a Comment