Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Cuy, Canyons and the Capital

Arequipa, Colca Canyon, Lima, PERU: 19 - 26 March 2010

My first stop in Peru was the nice city of Arequipa. Highlights of my two days there included visiting a colourful convent and seeing the preserved body of a child sacrificed by the Incas. But my most memorable moment was being in a restaurant overlooking the main plaza (South America has a lot of impressive plazas, but Arequipa´s is one of the best given that there is a snow-capped mountain behind the cathedral that is looking onto the palm-tree-filled square) and eating the local speciality of cuy, i.e. guinea pig, which is served with its head and feet still attached. Ymm, crunchy!From Arequipa I went trekking in the nearby Colca Canyon. Although it is one of the deepest canyons in the world, trekking down into it and back up again wasn´t too hard. The amazing scenery, seeing huge condors flying right over my head, and relaxing in a true oasis at the bottom of the canyon certainly made for three enjoyable days.After the tranquility of Colca Canyon, I flew to the hot metropolis of Lima. I only spent two days there as I will probably end up back in Lima again. But in the short time I was there I saw two different sides of the capital - the bustling centre including the chaotic Chinatown, and the modern, peaceful beachfront. Reading on top of a cliff looking at the waves beneath while dozens of paragliders flew overhead certainly left me with a nice image of Lima.

No comments:

Post a Comment