Monday, April 5, 2010

Semana Santa

Ayacucho, PERU: 27 March - 4 April 2010

From the start of my travels my target was to get to Ayacucho for the end of March to begin my volunteering. So now that I´m here it means the first seven-month phase of travelling is completed and I´m starting the second six-month phase of living in Peru.
I am living in a great apartment with four other volunteers - two Dutch couples (the charity I´m working for is Dutch). For €90 a month I have my own large ensuite room and we have a rooftop terrace with great views - looking down on the city in one direction and up at the hills in the other.
The thing for which Ayacucho is most famous is its Semana Santa (Holy Week) celebrations, so my arrival was perfectly timed. My first week was filled with watching traditional dancing, viewing several processions, going to a music festival, and partying on the streets for the Easter Saturday running of the bulls. It was a really fun week and a great introduction to Ayacucho.

1 comment:

  1. terry here.90 quid a month rent. jees you wouldnt make a fortune as a landlord over there

    ReplyDelete