Friday, March 19, 2010

Sand

San Pedro de Atacama, Iquique, CHILE: 15 - 18 March 2010

I spent two days in the fascinating oasis town of San Pedro de Atacama, in the middle of the driest desert in the world. In one jam-packed day I was up at 4am to get to a valley of geysers for sunrise (for breakfast we ate eggs that were hardboiled in the naturally boiling water surrounding us).
I ended that day watching the sunset while drinking a pisco sour in the incredible Valley of the Moon.
In between I relaxed in a thermal pool and then learned how to sand-board (i.e. its like snow-boarding except on sand dunes). It was great fun, but walking back up the dune after each go made we appreciate why ski resorts have chairlifts.
On St Patrick´s Day I spent the morning relaxing in San Pedro, then I bussed it to the coast and travelled up the scenic Panamerican Highway to the beach city of Iquique. There I again met up with my Czech friends Rudi and Jana, so I finished the day with a nice beer for the day that was in it. Waking up in a desert and going to slept next to the ocean shows the unique nature of Chile.

The next day was mostly spent relaxing on the beach and swimming in the Pacific - a nice way to spend my last full day in Chile.

No comments:

Post a Comment