Thursday, May 24, 2012

EuroCycle 2012: Denmark

15 - 23 May 2012
  • Flensburg (GER) to Faaborg: 85km 
  • Faaborg to Slagelse: 107km 
  • Slagelse to Roskilde: 90km 
  • Roskilde to Copenhagen: 53km 
  • 3 rest days in Copenhagen 
  • Copenhagen to Helsingor: 46km 
After crossing from Germany to Denmark by cycling over a simply bridge,
I soon found that both prices and the level of English spoken increased. But even though it can be expensive, Denmark is great for cycling. While the beauty of the coastal routes that I took was dulled by poor weather for the first few days, I enjoyed some pleasant cycling that linked interesting historical sites, including the decisive battle site in the 1864 Second Schleswig War, Roskilde's cathedral and "Hamlet's Castle" in Helsingor.
After a bit of island-hopping, I made it to sunny Copenhagen on time to be part of the support crew for my marathon-runing friends. On a very hot day, Sinéad, Gavin and Deborah successfully completed the 42.2km run and received their well-earned medals.
It was my first time at a marathon and I really enjoyed the whole experience. And after running across the city centre a few times to catch a glimpse of the runners at several points along the course, I felt that I too deserved the celebratory drinks.
The amazing atmosphere in the city on the day of the marathon was just one of the factors that made me really like Copenhagen. It is a great city, and probably the best city in the world for cyclists.

No comments:

Post a Comment