Friday, September 16, 2011

Ireland v. USA

Auckland, New Plymouth, Whangamomona, Taupo, Hamilton, NEW ZEALAND: 8 - 16 Sept. 2011

My return to New Zealand for the Rugby World Cup started well even before I had left Fiji. A guy I got chatting to in the check-in queue brought me in as his guest to the frequent flyers lounge where free food and beer awaited. Then the flight started with Air New Zealand's entertainng All Blacks safety video. After a friendly chat with the immigration officials about Ireland's chances, I was back in New Zealand ready for a fun six and a half weeks.

My first two nights were spent in Auckland where I stayed with my friends Sinead and Gavin. We were part of the huge crowds that gathered at the harbour for the opening celebrations, which included the arrival of dozens of traditional Maori canoes (wakas) and a very impressive fireworks display.

Then, like scores of tricolour-decorated campervans, I hit the road south for New Plymouth for Ireland's opening game against the USA. On approaching the town, I was blessed with majestic views of Mt. Taranki. As is often the case, the mist came in for the rest of the weekend and I never saw sight of the snow-capped volcano again.New Plymouth was packed with Irish fans and, while the match itself wasn't great, Ireland got the win and then the party started.
It was a great night, during which I met up with my friends Sinéad, Audrey and Laura, so we can now add New Plymouth to Lima and Melbourne in the list of places I've met up with them around the world.
And in the morning I discovered that I made the front page of the Taranki Daily News; a great souvenir.
My mini roadtrip to get myself back up to Auckland for next week's game started with a drive along the "Forgotten World Highway", where I stayed a night in the tiny republic of Whangamomona.
Then onto scenic and fun Taupo for two nights, where I watched a training session of the Welsh team
and relaxed in stream heated by natural hot springs.
Myself and the three girls then donned wetsuits and wellyboots and headed underground for some walking, swimming and tubing in the very impressive, glowworm-filled Waitomo Caves. Then one night in Hamilton, where I stayed with a Kiwi friend who I traveled with in Asia, before driving back up to Auckland for what promised to be a big weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment