Sunday, February 20, 2011

"So I went to a wedding in New Zealand..."

16 - 19 Feb 2011: Auckland, NEW ZEALAND

When I left on my travels my plan was to get to New Zealand by February 2011 for Sinéad (who I used to work with in Dublin) and Gavin's wedding - with three years and a world full of options it was very handy for me to have something on which to anchor my plans. I've lost count of how often I told people "Well I'm working my way to New Zealand for a friends' wedding and after that I'm not sure" (and I'm still not sure what I'm doing next!).

I flew with Ciarán from Sydney to Auckland, where we enjoyed some sunny days seeing the sights, including going up the Sky Tower and walking to the top of the volcanic Rangitoto Island, in the days before the wedding. Then, after a barbeque at the Lloyd's house (the first of many great barbeques we had in New Zealand) where there was a cross cultural hurling-cricket exchange, Sinéad and Gavin's big day arrived.

Their wedding had it all - a happy couple, including a beautiful, violin-playing bride wearing a dress made by her talented mother, a great venue with a sunny view of the bay, delicious food, quality speeches and even a "performance" of the Walls of Limerick at the end of the evening.It was a great day - congratulations Sinéad and Gavin!

No comments:

Post a Comment