Thursday, February 17, 2011

Feeling at home while being away

Sydney, AUSTRALIA: 12 - 16 Feb. 2011

My five days in Sydney were spent with friends from home: Kate came up from Melbourne for the weekend, then Ciarán arrived at the end of his three weeks in Australia, and I stayed first with Conor and Lisa, and then with Aileen (whose parents were also visiting). The fact that Aileen's plan of having a barbeque on my first day were washed out by the rain just added to my sense of being back in Ireland.

As well as catching up with friends, I went swimming several times (including at the famous Bondi Beach and in the aquatic centre used for the 2000 Olympics - a personal highlight) and I spent a day in the city centre seeing the likes of the iconic Harbour Bridge and Opera House (as well as loads of joggers including many wearing boxing gloves). In all the cities where I've done a DIY one day central walking tour, I think Sydney certainly is one of the most impressive. Or as Aileen put it, it has a great initial "wow factor".

While in Sydney, my sister Aileen confirmed that she had booked flights to Australia for August, so happily I'll be back in Sydney again.

No comments:

Post a Comment