Friday, October 28, 2011

Welcome to India!

Singapore, SINGAPORE & Delhi, INDIA: 25 - 27 Oct. 2011

On my way from New Zealand to India, I spent two nights in Singapore. I liked it more than I thought I would. While I didn't have much time there (just one full day), I feel I made the most of it. In between heavy thunderstorms, I checked out some interesting temples, the modern waterfront and ate some tasty food. A successful stopover.

My flight to Delhi arrived in the evening during the celebrations for Diwali, the Hindu "festival of lights" which is one of India's biggest festivals. This meant that my first sight of India was looking down from the airplane at fireworks going off all over the huge city. It was my best welcome to a country since landing in Dublin Airport at the same time as the Triple Crown-winning Irish rugby team where I exited the arrivals area to a crowd of welcoming television cameras and flag-waving supporters. It was a great start to my three months in India. (I had planned to spend six months in India - five months volunteering and one month travelling. But, to cut a long story of my dramas dealing with the Indian embassy in New Zealand short, I could only get a 90 day visa. So I've had to cut my travel time down to a week and my volunteering to two and half months, which is a pity. But on the bright side, that gives me more time for Nepal, so its all good!)

No comments:

Post a Comment