Monday, July 25, 2011

Suits you, sir

Hue, Hoi An, Mui Ne, Dalat, Ban Me Thout, Saigon, Can Tho, Chou Doc, VIETNAM: 5 - 21 July 2011.

Riding on the back of a motorbike became one my main modes of transport in central and southern Vietnam. As that was a new experience for me, it is one of the reasons that my time there will stand out in my memory.

After driving in and around the old imperial capital of Hue,
I hit south along the scenic coastal road to Hoi An. My driver stopped at all the places that tourists usually photograph and with a smile he would say to me "Take photos!". He was perplexed that I wasn't constantly snapping away. I tried to explain using hand gestures that I prefer trying to take in a view by looking at it rather than simply photograph it. But, as he was a nice guy, I took more photos than I normally would to make him happy. My time in Hoi An, the tailor-made clothes capital of South-East Asia, was spent getting suits fitted in between cycling to and from the beach. After the hard work of trying on suits in 30 degree heat, I really hope that the postal system works and that my package containing two suits, one shirt and two ties (which cost US$300) arrives safely in Ireland (and I hope that I will remember how to tie a tie by the time I get back!).
After more beach time in Mui Ne, where I was surrounded by speedo-wearing Russians, I headed inland to Dalat which was the starting point for a memorable two-day motorbike tour of the Central Highlands. Those two days were a highlight of my time in South-East Asia. It was a great way to see the countryside, although sitting on the back of a motorbike proved more tiring than I imagined. After three days in Ho Chi Minh City (Saigon), a fun city, I ended my time in Vietnam with three days in the Mekong Delta. Having spent two days on the Mekong a month earlier traveling from north Thailand to Laos, I was happy to see its impressive delta, complete with its floating markets. I had wanted to see Vietnam for years, and I wasn't disappointed. I can't quite put my finger on it, but Vietnam proved to be a perfect fit for me. I left Vietnam by boat, crossing into Cambodia, my final South-East Asian country.

No comments:

Post a Comment