Thursday, May 12, 2011

Go West

Perth, Freemantle, Margaret River, Augusta, Pemberton, Albany, Dunsborough, AUSTRALIA: 29 April - 10 May 2011.

Lonely Planet rated the south-western corner of Western Australia as one of the top ten regions in the world to visit in 2010. Given that in the same year they voted Cork as one of the top ten cities, I had faith in such lists. So I headed west.

Going west is something, I discovered, that a lot of Irish people in Australia do. During my three days in Perth and Freemantle (a 25 minute train trip apart from each other and both quite nice) I met a huge amount of Irish people. Many are working at mining sites, which generally are in very isolated areas but pay very well. After several conversations about the mines, I was very grateful that I was holidaying rather than mining.

Those at the Lonely Planet were right (as they were about Cork!). The area south of Perth is perfect for a relaxed week-long road trip. It is filled with parks with trees to climb and mountains to walk up, pristine beaches for relaxing, and a stunning coastline for watching surfers and enjoying sunsets. It was a great end (for the moment) to my time in Australia before flying from Perth to Kuala Lumpur to start three months in South-East Asia.

No comments:

Post a Comment