Wednesday, April 13, 2011

$2.50 for a banana! Are you joking?

Melbourne, AUSTRALIA: 5 - 12 April 2011

I often thank my lucky stars that as a "government-funded traveller" I don't have to do the things that some other backpackers have to do to fund their trips. Like recently when almost everyone else in my hostel in Napier in New Zealand was working either as fruit pickers or packers. Or like on my first night in Melbourne when one of Kate's (a friend from Cork who I happily stayed with for the week) Irish housemates told me how he "works" as a guinea pig for medical trials to fund his stay in Australia.

However, while I may not have the same financial worries as other backpackers, here in Australia my budget wouldn't stretch far enough to buy a banana! The floods in Queensland earlier this year destroyed 80 percent of Australia's banana crop. So shops have signs that say something along the lines of "Support Aussie farmers by buying really expensive bananas". I doubt if something similar would work in Ireland.
I had a great week in Melbourne. It felt to me like a very liveable city, which might explain why I know so many people living there. Happily my week coincided with the Comedy Festival, so I went to a couple of shows. But even without that there was loads to do. I spent my time catching up with friends, riding the trams, going to some excellent museums (including the Old Melbourne Gaol where I saw Ned Kelly's death mask)
and I attended an AFL game at the famous Melbourne Cricket Ground.
I really liked the feel of Melbourne - I could imagine living here.

No comments:

Post a Comment