Saturday, November 20, 2010

In praise of Salomon

Popayán, San Agustin, Cali, Santa Marta, COLOMBIA: 1 Nov. - 16 Nov. 2010

This week, when I dumped my Salomon trail runners, I decided that they must be the best purchase I've ever made. Bought for 100 euro three years ago, they served me well for all the hill-running I did before I left Ireland and then for the first fifteen months of my travelling. My first few weeks in Colombia provide a good example of what I´ve put them through in the last year:
  • walking all around the colonial city of Popayán in the south of the country, with its streets lined with all-white buildings;
  • horse-riding in the countryside around San Agustin to several statue-filled sites;
  • salsa dancing in Cali, where myself and Ciarán again met up with Elaine and her friends;
  • trekking for five days with Ciarán and Elaine through rivers and mud to the "Lost City of Tayrona".

Me and my Salomon runners have done a lot of fun stuff over the last 15 months, and I expect their replacements (which I plan to buy in New York in December) will serve me just as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment