Sunday, July 11, 2010

Upwardly Mobile

Ayacucho, PERU

Last week while I was bringing the kids in my PE class to the nearby public frontón (a cross between squash and handball) courts, we came across a young boy asleep on the side of the road. The boys told me his name is Robert and that he used to live in the Los Cachorros' shelter. Although he ran away from the shelter just before I came, I had heard of him because soon after I arrived the kids told the staff that they had heard rumours that Robert had died on the streets. But then the staff found out that he had gone back to the jungle (about seven hours south of Ayacucho) where his family lives.

When we got back I told the staff that we had met Robert. The next day when I turned up for my 2pm - 10pm shift, I found him back living in the shelter - it was great to see that the hungry- and dirty-looking boy who I saw sleeping on the streets the day before now had clean clothes, food and a bed. The staff think that he will leave again after awhile, so I am happy just to teach him a few things (I introduced him to Tetris in my computer class) while he's here. And I was glad to hear that he remembered some of the English words that a previous volunteer had taught him - so I see now that even with the kids who leave some of what we're doing sticks.

Speaking of people on the up, I went paragliding in the mountains surrounding Ayacucho. After our first attempt to take off resulted in a crash landing (we just avoided landing on a large cactus!), I then had a great, relaxing flight - a nice way to spend a morning.
Then to round off a good week, all the staff and boys in the permenant shelter went on a day out to the countryside where we played games and some football before swimming in a pool heated by natural springs - it was a fun day out.

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work man.

    It seems bizarre how some of the lads choose homelessness and hunger over living in the shelter, which by comparison sounds like a great place to be. The decision to be in the hostel seems like a 'no brainer' for these kids, so I'm confused as to why they leave.

    Jesus Manuel gave up what seems like his best shot of 'upwards mobility' by forgoing his spot at the shelter in exchange for (what sounds from here like) a life with no promise. That indicates that in making this decision, he has no concept of the future (doesn't account for it in his decision). I gather that ye would talk to them about setting goals in their lives, and encourage them to think about the future.

    What is the allure of living on the street and scrounging for every meal?

    ReplyDelete