Sunday, May 16, 2010

Its not "all work and no play"

Ayacucho, PERU
In case my last few posts have given the impression that all I´m doing in Ayacucho is selflessly working to save the world, I feel I should clarify that I´ve been having plenty of fun too. We have had several barbeques, a flower-power themed birthday/leaving party,
cards and poker nights, I´ve sung karaoke on a staff night out (Peruvians love their karaoke!), and I´ve celebrated the Dutch national holiday of "Queen´s Day" - I never thought I would be celebrating the birthday of a queen, let alone a descendent of William of Orange, but I hope all of you in Ireland will understand that I couldn´t turn down a party.

I´ve also taken advantage of living in the Andes by walking up into the mountains which are right behind my house to get great views of the city.

And this week I had my first visitors when an English couple who I travelled with for a few days in Honduras back in November spent a couple of days in Ayacucho. I showed them around the city and my tour included obvious highlights like the main plaza with its cathedral, as well personal highlights like:
  • my local market where, along with a lot of cheap fruit and veg, you can buy guinea pigs (just to clarify this is a food and not a pet market) and juice drinks with a frog blended into the mix; and
  • a drawing of Winnie the Pooh pleading with people not to piss on the street, which is something the locals (men, women and children) do a lot.

No comments:

Post a Comment